Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Potato Salad - My favorite way

I'm not a big fan of mayo or eggs in my potato salad, so this recipe is much more akin to a German potato salad.

Ingredients
3 cups diced, peeled potatoes (red or white, and I left my peels on)
4 slices bacon (optional)
1 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 TB water
3 TB white sugar
1 teas. salt
1/8 teas. ground black pepper
1 T chopped fresh parsley

I also added 1 cup or so chopped zucchini and 2 cloves garlic.

Directions

Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.  Drain, and set aside to cool.

Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.  Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed.  Remove from pan and set aside.

Add onion to bacon grease (or use pan with olive oil/butter), and cook over medium heat until browned.
*I added garlic and zucchini here and sauteed until soft.
Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pepper to the pan.  Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and parsley.  Crumble in half the bacon.  Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish.  Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment